I fell in love with Yoshinoya’s gyudon (beef rice bowl) in high school – I could eat it every other day for lunch. The beef sauce is so delicious and the rice is so “tiny” and soft. I always asked them to give me extra sauce just because I really liked it.
Now that I am here in the states and there’s no Yoshinoya in Utah. What can I do when I really want to eat that gyudon? I think I would just go to Vegas for the gyudon if I have that much money – but I don’t. So the only way is to make it by myself.
Today is one of those days that I really miss the food in Hong Kong – and today I really want to eat gyudon. I have tried many recipes and this one I found on a Chinese recipe website made the most legit Yoshinoya gyudon. I altered the original recipe because I didn’t have all the ingredients. But it was still good! Now I figured you only need six ingredients to make a very yummy gyudon: rice, “hot pot beef,” onion, mirin, soy sauce and sugar. Ah, and water!
Preparation Time 準備時間: 10 mins 十分鐘
Cooking Time 烹調時間: 20 mins 二十分鐘
3 cups – Rice 白飯
1 – Onion洋蔥
(As many as you want) Hot Pot Sliced Beef 肥牛 – 想食幾多就整幾多
50 ml (Add more if you want) – Soy Sauce 豉油
20ml (Add more if you want) – Mirin 味醂（you can find it in Asian Market)
4 tbsp (Add less or more if you want) – Sugar 糖
I don’t exactly know the amount of the ingredients… just taste it and you can decide if you should add more of this and that.
First thing first – cook rice. 記得煲飯
Beef Procedure 煮牛肉
1. Boil water – I think 500 ml is enough for four people. 煲滾水
2. Add mirin 落味醂
3. Add sliced onion into the boiling water – let it boil for 2 minutes 落洋蔥 （條狀）
4. Add beef – then the water will become something like “beef soup.” 落牛肉 － 水會變色
5. Add soy sauce – the soup should turn brown now. Yum yum. 落豉油
6. Add sugar – and start tasting it! 落糖，試下岩唔岩味
7. Add more soy sauce/ mirin/ sugar if you want – taste it! 自己再較下味
8. Keep warm for 20 mins to let the onion turn soft and the beef to become more tasty 一直開細火煮林d洋蔥同令牛肉入味
9. Eat it with rice 開飯
Voilà! I added too much sauce – but that’s how I eat it! It tastes just like what I ate for lunch in high school and I loved it. Enjoy!!